I made the Papercut Patterns Sigma Dress in a fabric the color of…Red Vines licorice. (Copyright or something. Please don’t sue me.)
Red is not exactly my jam. My dad said “so was the red fabric on sale or something?” In fact, it was, but not any more so than the other colors, hah. It is this red ponte, which I got way back in December when Mood was having a 20% off sale. The way I explained it to him was you know when you decide to paint a room red, and for the first few square feet you love it, and then you finish the room and you’re like WOW this is SO RED!
The whole thing is a bit of a paradox because the tailoring makes it look like work-wear, but the skirt length is like whoa, even after adding an inch in the skirt length.
I tried to style it in a way that I could realistically see myself wearing it:
Looks like it will work as a good date night outfit as long as I pair it with enough dark accessories. It might also work for next year’s holiday parties. Not that we go to any parties, but I always worry that I have nothing to wear to one. Now I guess I do.
- I originally graded out one and a half sizes from the bust to the waist based on the pattern measurements, but ended up taking all that width out in my muslin. So if you’re thinking the same, you might want to just try your straight size and see how it goes first.
- I reduced the center bust dart by 1/2″ and lowered the side bust dart by 1/2″.
- The instructions are wrong if you plan to put in pockets! If you’re not sure how to do it correctly, there are tons of tutorials for a skirt with pockets.
- I accidentally did all 5/8″ seams, but the pattern is drafted with 3/8″ seams. Beware! That ate up a bit of my skirt length, even though I added an inch.
- I used Lauren’s invisible zipper insertion method with my regular sewing foot by moving my needle over -.08 and it worked great! Although I zipped the pull right off the red one I started inserting, so had to do it again and only had this grey zipper. Ah well.
- My seams are serged and I used my invisible hem foot for the hem and sleeves. I tacked down the neck facing into the shoulders, and the waist seam into the side seams, by stitching small stitches in the ditch.
And a close-up of my first (or second, sort of) invisible zipper:
Now that I’ve done a real, tailored-fit dress, I feel like I have a broader range of sewing possibilities. Thank you, Papercut Patterns!